Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 2: "Many hands lighten the load"

Friday English 8 - period 1 - 9:00 am

The recording studio set up, the listening studio set up, and many people helping:

My EA and I are in the classroom with 1/4 of the students. Karen and April (DI facilitator) are in the recording studio with 1/4 of the students and Kirk is downstairs in the computer lab (listening studio) with 1/2 of the students.

The students are catching onto the new editing process. They are rotating between the listening and recording studio. Listening and rerecording many times... They are peer editing with smiles on their faces. Hearing someone on the Internet with headphones is not new to them. Hearing themselves is weird. "I sound funny" " I talk too quiet/slow/fast" is the talk in the classroom.

I don't feel confident enough to do this assignment alone. I am not confident it would work with just me. I need the people in each area to supervise.... and their expertise is a major asset....
Kirk with his knowledge of the programs and being able to talk at the students level so they understand, Karen with her ability to adapt when issues arise like "where are the headphones?" or "why doesn't this computer have power?", April for her ability to help our student who was stuck getting her first sentence recorded and creating an assignment to meet the needs of one of our student who is at a kindergarten reading level, and Debbie (my EA) who helps administer the assignment and keep our student on track.... without these people I don't know what would happen.... my prediction.... chaos!


Thank you all for making my job a lot easier!!!

3 comments:

  1. You blog very well. I have wanted to do a blog for a while now but I have no idea what to talk about! (shhhh don't let Lawrence find that out or I might be the next quinea pig)
    So you keep it up Tech Girl... I am too old school for anything new. Yep, chalk and slates for my students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise...don't worry about Lawrence, I am going to be after you to start blogging. I am sure we can find something. In fact maybe our next project could be with one of your classes? Never "to old school for anything new!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. HahaHa Kirk *I am definately hiding from you*... Maybe my blog could be about resisting change and technology! However, no one will follow it since my "followers" wouldn't understand how to log on!

    ReplyDelete