Sunday, January 31, 2010

Smart kids!

So, we have been digital storytelling for three weeks now. The kids are trying new things and asking if they can add pictures, sound, and music. I am still apprehensive when a student has their hand up because I don't have a clue most of the time.....


I did help a student when he couldn't get sound through his headset... he was plugged into the mic jack and not the headphone jack.... hee hee.

Kirk was wandering around helping kids and he noticed that kids were not citing their sources in the right format.... frustrating... he taught (again) a mini lesson on citing sources.... I was frustrated, the kids were frustrated, it felt like we were going backwards. I did not want this to take another three weeks. Anyways, I knew if we were going to push the kids to have perfection on their sources cited page then that better be on the rubric (which I already had made up and shared with the students)... so I am changing my rubric to include this outcome (which is not what I was intending on focusing on (writing process - editing)..... thank you Mrs. White for showing me that we can assess more than one outcome per assignment...LOL!! Flexibility in assessment.... brilliant!!!

Anyways, I quickly got over the whole citing sources properly. All of a sudden, one of the students said he was done.... no way, I couldn't believe it!!! We needed to put the final draft into a different format. Kirk came over and showed Karen, the student, and I how to do this. Next thing I know we are viewing the students video on windows media player...WOW!! That was cool...so I am viewing it and I see a spelling mistake flash onto the screen... AUGH! This is never going to end!!! hahaha!! Kirk said not to worry the student can still fix it.

Kirk wanted me to listen to see if the images match the voice..... I did not do this because I wanted to view the finished product while I assess.... It was great to have Karen and Kirk for this part because they could give the student the feedback or critiques. I have found, in the past, that I would give too many ideas/help. The finished product turned into mine and not the students.

So, at the end of this day most of the students were starting to make the final draft of their movie. The next class I was not there...but I heard one student lost their whole project!!!
SAVE OFTEN!!

5 comments:

  1. I agree citing seemed like a bother for the students. How could this be better designed into the project? This is an important process that is never fun but necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... citing sources is the worst part of any assignment for the students. I would LOVE to see the format you are using for them to cite the sources.

    I also would love to see some of the finished projects... are you going to post them to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, citing is not that bad - boring but necessary :) I would want credit for my work. I will post them as long as the student gives me permission.... question for you two: why am I worried so much about privacy when my own sons work is plastered on a blog with no permission from me?? Do we have some division protocol or is it school based? Just wondering :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmmm good question about the privacy thing. I thought there was some kind of policy division wide.
    I really wanna see how you cite the sources sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe there is some type of divisional policy however I am not sure exactly what it is...I will have to look into that. We as teachers do have to think seriously about this stuff. What type of digital footprint are we creating for ourselves and possibly our students? Teachers may want to be somewhat cautious in what is posted in a blog that is open to the world. For example Andrea never uses students names in her blog. It may also be beneficial to keep the blog at a professional level. By this I mean be aware of what you are putting in your blog, the language used, images, etc. Remember, if set for anyone to view, students, parents, administrators, etc. may be viewing your blog.

    ReplyDelete