Monday, January 11, 2010

Techie Gremlins beware!

Start time: Period 1 - English 8: Wednesday 9:00am.

I come into our designated "recording studio" at 8:30. We have seven computers set up for the voice recording portion of the assignment. The gremlin of the techie world strikes again - we can not log into the computers, the server is down.....AUGH!! AUGH!!! AUGH!!!!

I felt disheartened, discouraged, upset!!! Why does this always happen to me!!!

Back up plan - no technology, no problem, I can do this - I headed to my sanctuary - the classroom!!! I explained to the kids what happen to throw a wrench into our plans... my autistic kid took it better than I expected - no melt-down - change is not good with him.

Kirk and Karen handled the crisis very well... a phone call to the techie should get them some results----after a "pardon me" and "I need you to support us and for you to do your job!!!" persuasion we were up and running at 9:30.

We started our first group of seven in the recording studio. The students caught on quickly on how to creating a folder and the audacity program. Before I knew it the next group of seven was starting to record and the first group was heading to the "listening studio" The students that were left in the class waiting for their turn to record their assignment were busy working on editing on paper.... Then the bell rang. We got through fourteen. Twelve left....

No time to debrief with Karen and Kirk.... needed to teach next hour... no time for reflection.... blogging is reflecting??? right?? even if it's done a week after the fact? I think I like blogging... weird...

1 comment:

  1. You are right Andrea...blogging works great for reflection. It also helps us learn a great deal about the process. Thanks a bunch for blogging your thoughts about this project. I am really enjoying reading this!

    ReplyDelete